Rams shutout Truett-McConnell in 3-0 dominating performance

By Sports Information Department BC | September 5, 2011 | RSS

Bluefield College Athletics

Sports Information Department

Bluefield, Virginia


The Bluefield Rams men's soccer team defeated Truett-McConnell (Ga.) 3-0 on Sunday afternoon after a weather-delayed suspension on Saturday evening.


BC and TMC were originally set for 4pm kickoff on Saturday but were suspended after spending three hours in and out of shelter due to heavy storms and lightning at East River.


The team restarted action on Sunday at 1pm where a full match would be replayed. The Rams started right where they left off on their short time on the pitch on Saturday. Just five minutes into the game, centerback Shawn Stanley sent a long free kick over the TMC defense to the rushing MF Aaron Georgiadas. Georgiadas met a hard challenge, but the ball popped out ahead to the slashing Mader. Mader was able to tap it in for the tally making it a 1-0 lead.


Late in the first half, Truett had a few opportunities to equalize before the break, but two great defensive plays by centerback Ryan Wall and GK Jefferson Watson kept the Rams ahead going in the half.


The second half would multiply in intensity. The Bears looked stagnant for the first several mnutes of the half, but would bring high pressure for the final 30 minutes trying to get the game back to even. Just before the 80th minute, TMC had their best opportunity when a Bears midfielder received a ball outside the semi-circle, deep outside the 18 yard box. He collected and rocketed a shot off the left post, keeping the score at 1-0.


Just a minute later, the Rams would counter on a great run. MF Jacob Mader received the ball on the outside right sideline, carried the ball with advantage in numbers and fired a ball low across the six-yard line. D Kody Tremblay was on the other end, where he would connect cleanly but missed wide right by inches.


The match would stay a one-goal difference until the Rams attacked via a free kick just beyond the halfway line. MF Dan Turpin layed the ball off to Jacob Mader who eventually found the foot of striker Pedro Frazillio. Pedro made a nice move to the outside, beat his defender and fired a low-driving cross across the goal mouth for Tyler Koerwitz. Koerwitz's 82nd minute brace would give the Rams a comfortable two-goal advantage.


Even two goals up, the Rams were not finished. On the attack, Frazillio collected a pass just inside the Rams offensive half. He found a slanting Mader who faked two defenders and smoothly finished the goal going far post past the laid-out goalkeeper.


The Rams outshot Truett-McConnell 9-7 in the match. The Rams were led in scoring by freshman Jacob Mader who picked up two goals on the afternoon, giving him nine points already on the season. Frazilio added two assists in the match.


Bluefield's shutout was their first of the regular season as Jefferson Watson came up big in goal for the home side. Watson had two saves on the day.


The win moves Bluefield to 1-2 overall as they look ahead to a Wednesday home match against Ferrum College at 7pm.


For more information, visit www.bcrams.com for LIVE VIDEO or follow us on Twitter @BluefieldRams.