Rams earn tough 0-0 draw in double overtime
The Rams earned a 0-0 away draw against NCAA Division II side, Brevard College

Rams earn tough 0-0 draw in double overtime

By Sports Information Department BC | September 11, 2011 | RSS

Bluefield College Athletics

Sports Information Department

Bluefield, Virginia


Brevard, North Carolina- Even after 110 minutes of action, the Bluefield-Brevard men's soccer match couldn't decide a winner in a 0-0 final at Brevard College on Saturday evening.


The Rams entered Saturday's match with a two game winning streak with shutout wins over Truett-McConnell (3-0) and Ferrum (2-0) earlier in the week. The match was game three in a six-day span for the team.


Early in the match, the Rams came out with high pressure looking to press with tough defense as they had in its two previous games. The pressure was matched by Brevard as the game picked up in physical play with five yellow cards and on the verge of a red card on several different occasions.


BC's first chance came in the 15th minute, as the Rams midfield held possession well inside Brevard's helf, as they found MF Benton Tuck up top. The ball was slotted through on Brevard's high line of defense to Tuck who was making an angle run in behind the defense. Tuck found himself 1v1 with the keeper but fired straight into the hands of the on-rushing goalkeeper.


Another fifteen minutes past when Bluefield had a golden opportunity called back by the officials. MF Jacob Mader found himself on the end of a driven ball on the left corner of the six-yard box with one defender to beat. Mader beat him along the byline and slipped the ball into the goal-mouth where Georgiadas was rushing. In the midst of a load of Brevard defenders, the ball rolled across the goal line but the officials continued play as no goal was awarded.


With the score still scoreless, Brevard began knocking on the Rams' door with under eight minutes to play in the first half. The Tornadoes were able to attack Bluefield with two dangerous opportunities, one from about 20 yards at the top of the box. A laser shot was sent to the left side of the goal, but Jefferson Watson came up huge with a unbelievable save to his right. On the ensuing corner kick, a Tornadoes midfielder rose above everyone to put a driven header on frame but just missed high of the crossbar.


The second half brought more opportunities, but a similar outcome. The last 15 minutes of regulation time had the Brevard defense on their toes as the Rams peppered the goal with a fury of game-winning chances. Substitutes Anthony Hunt, Steven Gurrier and Matt Plucinski ignited the late push in the second half. None of their chances found the back of the net, but the pressure and momentum did keep Brevard from getting forward in the attack.


In overtime, the Rams had one clear opportunity after several offensive buildups complimentary of MF Dan Turpin who danced around and diced the Tornadoes defense for twenty minutes. Unforunately, Bluefield couldn't finish with a tally regardless of the stout defensive performance by the Rams' back four and GK Watson.


With the scoreless 0-0 draw, the Rams have gone 290 minutes without allowing a goal dating back to its game at home versus Washington and Lee. The Rams will conclude its two-game road trip on Monday as they play Warren Wilson College near Asheville, North Carolina. With an overal 2-2-1 record, Bluefield looks for a victory to have a winning record for the first time all season.


For more information on Bluefield men's soccer and Bluefield College Athletics, log on to www.bcrams.com or follow us on Twitter @BluefieldRams.