Men's Tennis drops match to UVA-Wise 6-3
Rams lose 2nd straight by close score. Looking ahead to VA Wesleyan after break
Sports Information Department BC
March 2, 2012
Bluefield College Athletics
Sports Information Department
Wise, Virginia- The men's tennis team traveled to Wise, Virginia to take on Mid-South conference member, UVA-Wise on Thursday but came up short in a 6-3 loss on the afternoon.
The Rams lost #1 and #3 singles to UVA-Wise in straight sets, but the #2 singles spot went to three sets. Chas Stonestreet dominated his opponent in the 2nd set 6-1, but dropped the first and third set to lose two of three.
Bluefield came back by winning the #4 and #5 singles. Unfortunately, the Rams had to forfeit the #6 spot which played a huge role in the overall scoring due to number of available players.
On the doubles side, Bluefield lost #1 doubles (Owens/Gunn) 8-3 but BC returned the favor by winning at the #2 doubles pairing of Eastep and Moore. Yet again, the Rams had to forfeit at the #3 doubles spot. With the two blemishes in both the single and double areas- Bluefield couldn't take the match.
UVA-Wise came away with the 6-3 win in the narrow defeat (on paper) over the Bluefield College Rams.
Below were the final results:
- Zack Holcomb (UVA-W) def. Jordan Owens (BC) > 6-4, 6-3
- Chase Cupp (UVA-W) def. Chas Stonestreet (BC) > 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
- Marc Huff (UVA-W) def. Tyler Eastep (BC) > 6-1, 6-2
- James Gunn (BC) def. Matt Sisk (UVA-W) > 6-1, 6-2
- Matt Moore (BC) def. Jimmy Stewart (UVA-W) > 6-0, 6-1
- Mark Collins (UVA-W) won by forfeit
- Holcomb/Cupp (UVA-W) def. Owens/Gunn (BC) > 8-3
- Eastep/Moore (BC) def. Huff/Sisk (UVA-W) > 8-3
- Stewart/Collins (UVA-W) won by forfeit