Men's soccer gives up late goals to Shawnee State in 5-3 defeat
Men's Soccer lose 5-3 to Shawnee State in Portsmouth, Ohio

Men's soccer gives up late goals to Shawnee State in 5-3 defeat

August 28, 2011 | RSS

Bluefield College Athletics

Sports Information Department

Bluefield, Virginia


Portsmouth, Ohio- The men's soccer team opened its regular season campaign on Saturday at Shawnee State with a 5-3 loss in a very competitive effort in Portsmouth, Ohio.


The Shawnee State Bears got on the scoreboard early within the first ten minutes of action after starting Rams GK Jefferson Watson had to make two great saves in the opening minute of the match. The Rams would have to switch around the lineup with a quick injury to captain Joey Waltz who would leave the pitch with a soreness to his knee. He wouldn't return till the second half.


Just minutes later, MF Jacob Mader tallied his first goal of the regular season in the 15th minute to even the score at 1-1. The next 25 minutes would include attacking from both sides, but no real threat on frame for either team.


Just inside the 40th minute, SSU was attacking the Rams goal and the defense was able to clear on the first attempt, but the Bears came right back at the goal. Rams still cleared it for a second time, but a poor clearance left the ball at Shawnee striker's foot and would knock home the goal to make it 2-1 Shawnee.


At the intermission, Rams got the chance to talk over some things. As the second half got underway, Bluefield would react first with a beautiful service ball by MF Jacob Mader. The ball dipped in to another freshman, MF Aaron Georgiadas, who made a great effort to slip in behind the backline and finish the ball for another BC equalizing goal in the 48th minute.


Seven minutes later, SSU pushed the ball down the left side and got in past BC's defense. Melhorn got tagged with a pull down in the penalty area, and Shawnee would convert on the PK to lead 3-2.


Bluefield was still not out of it yet. In the 60th minute, from the corner, the Rams would slam a shot off the post which could have yet again been a game-tying goal, but it was inches high. Shawnee State would counter-attack and find themselves using high pressure on the BC's backline. As a result, Bluefield gave up the ball and Shawnee's crafty offense easily put away its 4th goal of the match to make it 4-2.


Another strike would come from Shawnee State with just 20 minutes left to play. A nice placed shot went past the diving Watson to make it a 5-2 game. Several substitutions were made late in the match, but it wouldn't stop Bluefield to continue working hard. In the 89th minute, a heads up play made by MF Dan Turpin created BC's last chance. A quick restart from a SSU foul, Turpin drove the ball over the SSU defense to the on-running Mader, who was left 1v1 with the goalkeeper. Mader gently lofted the ball over him to make it a 5-3 score.


Bluefield will turn around and have four days to prepare for its home opener against Washington and Lee on Thursday night at 7pm. With the loss, the Rams start 0-1 but are very confident in its ability to score and stay hungry. Come out and support Men's soccer on Thursday at the East River Soccer Complex for an exciting non-conference match.


For more information on BC Rams, visit us online at or follow us on Twitter @BluefieldRams. Don't forget to purchase your RAMS TV package to watch your sport LIVE online this season.