Buzzer-beater with .8secs stuns Bluefield 81-80 vs. Point
Bluefield drops AAC contest for first time this season

Buzzer-beater with .8secs stuns Bluefield 81-80 vs. Point

January 28, 2012 | RSS

Bluefield College Athletics

Sports Information


The Bluefield men’s basketball team (14-11, 7-3 AAC) was stunned today in the Dome as Point (8-16, 5-6 AAC) got a last-second basket to beat the Rams 81-80.


Tory Wooley caught a length-of-the-court pass bounced it off the backboard and in as time expired to give the Skyhawks the win.


After a back-and-forth first half, Point took advantage of second-chance scoring opportunities to pull ahead to a double-digit lead over the Rams midway through the second half.


Kearsten Marion got the Rams’ offense going with a 3-pointer to cut the Skyhawks lead to 55-48. On the next possession, Darryl Jordan came up the lane for a high-flying put-back dunk that brought the home fans in the Dome to their feet and closed the deficit to five points. 

After a basket by Point, Alvin Board hit a 3-pointer to bring the Rams within six points. 


Point continued to turn offensive rebounds into points and opened its lead back up to 61-55 before Bluefield went on a run. Marion drove to the basket and made a circus layup followed by a 3-point shot from Borgia M’bala to bring the Rams within one point.

On the next Bluefield possession, Byron Carpenter got an offensive rebound and fought through two Point defenders and sank a close-range shot off the backboard and drew a foul. After he made the free throw, Bluefield lead 63-60 with just over six minutes left in the game.


Point used more offensive rebounds and second-chance shots to pull back ahead by four until a Carpenter layup and a 3-pointer from M’bala put Bluefield back in front 68-67 with 4:10 remaining.


The teams traded baskets until a 3-pointer from Marion and 15-foot jumper from M’bala put the Rams ahead by five with one minute remaining.


Point’s Jeremy Mahaffey tipped in an offensive rebound to cut Bluefield’s lead to 76-73 with 48 seconds left. On the next Bluefield possession, M’bala drove to his left down the middle of the lane and dropped in a layup to put Bluefield ahead 78-73 with 32.6 seconds left.


On the ensuing Skyhawks possession, Shasta Scott came off a screen and hit a fade-away 3-pointer to bring Point within two at 78-76 with 22.3 seconds left.


Point quickly fouled Marion after the inbound pass to send him to the free throw line, where he missed the front end of the 1-and-1 and Scott drained another 3-pointer to give the Skyhawks a 79-78 lead with 6.5 seconds left.


The Rams inbounded the ball to Marion, who took it the length of the court and dropped in a layup to put Bluefield back up 80-79 with 0.8 seconds left.


Point decided not to call its final timeout and quickly threw a pass to the other end of the floor where Wooley caught the pass and tossed it up over Bluefield defender George Brooks. The ball bounced off the backboard, took a couple bounces off of the rim, and fell through as the buzzer sounded and time expired.


The loss overshadowed a come-from-behind effort as Bluefield overcame a double-digit deficit in the second half.


Four Bluefield players finished in double-digits in scoring. Carpenter led the Rams with 18 points and nine rebounds. Marion finished with 16 points. M’bala hit three 3-ponters on his way to a 13-point game. Board had 10 points.