BC rocks #18 Tenn Wesleyan in double-overtime 71-67 in women's basketball
Lady Rams celebrate 3rd consecutive season-sweep of an AAC opponent on Thursday night

BC rocks #18 Tenn Wesleyan in double-overtime 71-67 in women's basketball

By Sports Information Department BC | February 2, 2012 | RSS

Bluefield College Athletics

Sports Information Department

Bluefield, Virginia


Athens, Tenn.- 


The women's basketball team went the distance on Thursday night beating Tennessee Wesleyan in double-overtime 71-67 and extending their winning streak to three games. 


The Lady Rams completed yet another season sweep of their third straight AAC team after knocking off Milligan earlier in the week at home. 


This game, just like the first time they met, was a close game. In fact, the contest went into overtime for just the second time all season. The Lady Rams are undefeated in overtime play in conference play to date. 


Bluefield jumped out to an early lead at 22-14 with 5:45 left to play in the first half after a quick run by the ladies in Red. The eight-point lead was the largest of the ball game by either team, and lead reached its highest off a three-point basket by Kia Gillard. 


The Lady Bulldogs were able to crawl back into the game as the low-scoring teams went into the half with a slim 24-20 Bluefield lead. 


The second half would be much more entertaining, especially on the offensive end. Both teams turned the ball over quite a bit, as TWC gave up 21 turnovers to BC's 15.


Bluefield got out to another decent lead of seven points late in the second half as Teqa McNeal exploded for a huge individual performance. 


The Lady Bulldogs fought back late though, as they wiped away the Bluefield lead very quickly. With 1:05 to play in the game, Wesleyan brought the BC lead to just one point. On the insuing Lady Rams possession, they fouled Takieya Rouse making her shoot two free throws. 


After Rouse hit only one of two free throws, Wesleyan's Heather Gibson went the length of the floor with two seconds remaining to force overtime with last-second made field goal. 


The momentum shifted heading into the first overtime period as Wesleyan turned up the heat and led the entire period. BC was able to slim down a two-point TWC lead with :12 seconds left after a Gillard foul. Wesleyan made both free-throws but Gillard came right back and tied the game up at 61-61. One last effort by Wesleyan was denied and the two teams headed into a second overtime. 


In the second OT, both teams struggled to find the basket but free-throws played a huge role not only in the extra frame, but the entire game. Gillard and McNeal carried the team in the second overtime with all four field goals and more from the FT line. In the 6th lead change of the night and tied at 67-67, McNeal broke loose and scored the go-ahead bucket with 27 seconds remaining. 

Wesleyan couldn't get another basket, as Bluefield capped off the night with a huge conference victory to move to 9-4 in the AAC and 15-8 overall. 


McNeal exploded for 31 points and 7 rebounds. The point total was the highest by any Bluefield Lady Ram all season. Bluefield will remain on the road as they travel south to Waleska, Georgia to face Reinhardt University on Saturday afternoon. 


High Scorers: McNeal (31 for BC) and Gibson (25 for TWC).