Financial Aid Process

Students are responsible for arranging the payment of tuition and fees prior to the start of classes. Today more than ever, investing in a college education requires planning.

The process outlined below has been developed to assist students in understanding the financial aid process and to assist students in budgeting and managing their personal records. BC encourages our students to submit the documents requested promptly to assure that their aid will be processed prior to the start of class.

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA or renewal FAFSA for the appropriate academic year) online. Our college code is 003703.
  2. The processed results of the FAFSA, called a Student Aid Report (SAR) will be mailed or e-mailed to you and electronically transmitted to us. We are unable to fully process aid for you until we receive these results. Please read your SAR carefully and resolve any errors or problems right away.
  3. Virginia residents should complete the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG) application and return it to the financial aid office by July 31 to be considered an on-time application. Click here for your VTAG Application. Funds are awarded in compliance with state regulations.
  4. After you have been accepted at Bluefield College, and we receive your FAFSA results, we will begin to examine your eligibility for financial aid. You will receive an electronic award letter detailing your awards and the additional documents needed to finalize your financial aid. As a part of your award package, we may recommend loans for you in order to cover the balance of your charges. If you would like to receive a Federal Direct Loan, complete the Loan Request Form and return it to BC Central. Refer to your award letter for the recommended loan amount; you may select this amount or a lesser amount if you wish. We generally list an award for the maximum amount that you may be eligible to receive, so you may wish to borrow only what you need to cover your charges and books to prevent over-borrowing.

    You can access the documents online from Forms and Resources or through your MyBC account. Please return them to our office as quickly as possible to ensure that your financial aid is in place prior to the start of class. If you wish to accept the aid listed, simply complete the requested items. If you wish to decline any part of your financial aid, simply notify BC Central, specifying the awards or loans you wish to decline.
  5. Direct Loan borrowers are required to complete entrance counseling in order to be approved for a loan. You will also be required to sign a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) to receive your loan. Both these steps may be completed here.
  6. Notify the Financial Aid Office of any outside scholarships or other financial assistance you receive in order to prevent a federal overpayment condition. Include church and community scholarships, employer pay and employer reimbursement, rehabilitative services benefits, military benefits, etc. This notification is very important because an overpayment may affect whether you are eligible to receive certain grants and loans in the future.
  7. Billing and financial aid awards will align with your courses and are applied in eight-week increments. As such, your financial aid will be broken into two equal disbursements over each semester. This applies to institutional and federal aid; however, the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG) will be disbursed only after you attain a full-time credit hour status in your fall or spring semester. Your full VTAG award most likely will be disbursed in the second eight weeks of your fall and spring semesters. We encourage you to plan and budget accordingly for expenses, including textbooks.
  8. Our institutional policy is to credit the account after the census date. After bills are paid, students receiving a refund will be sent a check after class participation has been verified through the Registrar’s Office.
  9. It is important to remember that the paperwork you complete is for one academic year only. You will need to complete a FAFSA renewal and other documents each year for which you wish to obtain financial aid. The FAFSA may be completed on or after January 1 of the year preceding the school year.