Our Vision & Mission
To improve the oral and general health of residents of rural Virginia and Central Appalachia by educating dentists with a sense of leadership and commitment to care for the underserved.
The mission of the Bluefield College School of Dental Medicine is to:
- Prepare excellent general dentists with qualities of leadership and compassion for those who have difficulty accessing comprehensive oral health care wherever they may be found supported by outstanding clinical skills;
- Bring dental care and improvements in oral and general health to areas in southwestern Virginia, the region, and beyond that traditionally have not had adequate access to dental services;
- Provide opportunities for students from nontraditional backgrounds, traditionally underserved areas, and underrepresented groups to enter the dental profession;
- Be involved in research and scholarly activities to understand the dental disease patterns of the region and develop sustainable programs to improve individual and community oral health; and
- Provide an engine for economic growth for the region.